By: Jeanine Skowronski

In reply to Kylee Dennis.

You may want to consult a consumer attorney about your best recourse and your rights by state (since they can vary.) Some attorneys will do free consults. Beyond that, it’s important not to simply ignore the summons. Failure to show up in court could result in a summary judgment against you — and that could lead to garnishment. You can find some tips for how to handle judgments and lawsuits for debts here: